- CIVE Home
- About CIVE
- Academic Programs
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Admissions Requirements
- Student Organizations
- Undergraduate Degree Plans
Cross, Stephen A., Ph.D., P.E.
Office: 319 Engineering South
- Ph.D. - Civil Engineering, Auburn University, 1992
- M.S. - Civil Engineering, University of Arkansas, 1985
- B.S. - Civil Engineering, University of Arkansas, 1980
Dr. Cross's areas of interest include pavement construction, cold mix recycling, asphalt mix design, and mixture characterization
Current Research Projects
- Evaluation of Hamburg Rut Tester for Field Control of HMA - ODOT
- QC/QA Testing Differences Between Hot Mix Asphalt and Warm Mix Asphalt - ODOT
- Automated Laser Spectrographic Pattern Matching for Aggregate Identification. NCHRP IDEA 20-30/IDEA 150 (Co-Investigator)
- Development of a Flexible Pavement Database for Local Calibration of MEPDG - ODOT
- Laser Characterization of Fine Aggregate – OTC/RITA.
- Performance of Cold In-Place Recycling in New York State - NYSERDA. (Co-Investigator)
Awards and Recognition
- Visiting Research Professor. Research Institute of Highways, Ministry of Communications, P. R. China, 2008 - 2010.
- Member, Arkansas Academy of Civil Engineering, Inducted April 2005.
- Recognition and Award for Improving the Quality and Use of Hot Mix Asphalt, Asphalt Pavement Alliance, March 2003.
- Bellows Scholar. University of Kansas, School of Engineering, 2000 - 2001.
- Award for Excellence in Cold In-Place Recycling. Asphalt Recycling and Reclaiming Association, February 1999.
- International Society for Asphalt Pavements
- Asphalt Recycling & Reclaiming Association.
- American Society of Civil Engineers.
- The Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists.
- American Society for Testing and Materials
- Registered Civil Engineer, State of Arizona, No. 18671.
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of Missouri, No. 22407.
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of Kansas, No. 12644.
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of Oklahoma, No. 22452.
- Cross, Stephen A., Edward R. Kearney, Henry G. Justus and Warren H. Chesner. Cold In-Place Recycling in New York State. Final Summary Report, SPR Research Project No. C-06-21, NYSERDA-TORC Contract No. 6764F-2, New York State Department of Transportation, Albany, NY, July 2010, 248 pp.
- Cross, Stephen A. “US Trends in Pavement Maintenance Using Cold In-Place Recycling.” Proceedings, 3rd (2009) International Pavement Maintenance Technology Congress (3PMTC), Guangzhou, P.R. China, May 21, 2009.
- Cross, Stephen A. and Gyanendra Pokhrel. “Evaluation of Vacuum Drying for Determination of Bulk pecific Gravity of HMA Samples.” Compendium of Papers, 88th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board. CD-ROM. Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., January 2009.
- McTernan, William and Stephen A. Cross. Development of Liquidated Damages for the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. Report FHWA-OK-08-07. Oklahoma Department of Transportation, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, August 2009, 71 pp.
- Cross, Stephen A. “Application and Development of Recycling Technology in North America.” Proceedings, 2008 China Asphalt Emulsion Congress, Xi’an, P.R. China, April 10-12, 2008.