- CIVE Home
- About CIVE
- Academic Programs
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Admissions Requirements
- Student Organizations
- Undergraduate Degree Plans
Soliman, Mohamed, Ph.D.
- Behavior of structures under extreme events
- Fatigue and fracture in steel and aluminum structures
- Sustainability and life-cycle management of structures deteriorating due to aging and natural hazards
- Reliability of structural systems
- Structural Health Monitoring
- Resilience of infrastructure systems
- Risk assesment and risk-based decision making
- Ph.D. in Structural Engineering, Lehigh University, January 2015
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering, Alexandria University, 2008
- B.Sc. in Civil Engineering, Alexandria University, 2003
Awards and Honors:
- Alfred Noble Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2015
- J. James R. Croes Medal, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2014
- IASSAR Scholarship, 2013
- P.C. Rossin Doctoral Fellowship, Lehigh University, 2012
- Lehigh University Doctoral Fellowship, 2009
- Alexandria University Honors Degree with Distinction, Alexandria University, 2003
- Alexandria University Appreciation Award, Alexandria University, 2001, 2000, 1999
- AISC: American Institute of Steel Construction, Member, 2015 -
- SEM: Society of Experimental Mechanics, Member, 2014 -
- ASCE: American Society of Civil Engineers, Associate Member, 2011-present; Task Group 1 of the ASCE-SEI Technical Council on life-cycle performance, safety, reliability and risk of structural systems, Member 2013-
- IABMAS: International Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety, Member, 2011 -
- IALCCE: International Association for Life-cycle Civil Engineering, Member, 2011 -
- Egyptian Engineering Syndicate, Member, 2003 -
- Frangopol, D.M., and Soliman, M., (2015). “Life-cycle of structural systems: recent achievements and future directions,” Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Taylor & Francis (in press).
- Li, H., Frangopol, D.M., Soliman, M. and Xia, H., (2015). “Fatigue reliability assessment of railway bridges based on probabilistic dynamic analysis of coupled train-bridge system,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE (in press).
- Li, H., Xia, H., Soliman, M., and Frangopol, D.M., (2015). “Bridge stress evaluation based on the dynamic response of coupled train-bridge system,” Engineering Structures, Elsevier, 99, 334-345.
- Wu, J., Frangopol, D.M., and Soliman, M., (2015). “Simulating the construction process of steel-concrete composite bridges,” Steel and Composite Structures, An International Journal, Techno Press, 18(5), 1239-1258.
- Wu, J., Frangopol, D.M., and Soliman, M., (2015). “Geometry control simulation for long-span steel cable-stayed bridges based on geometrically nonlinear analysis,” Engineering Structures, Elsevier 90, 71-82.
- Soliman, M., Barone, G., and Frangopol, D.M., (2015). “Fatigue reliability and service life prediction of aluminum high-speed naval vessels based on structural health monitoring,” Structural Health monitoring, SAGE Publications, 14(1), 3-19.
- Soliman, M., and Frangopol, D.M., (2015). “Life-cycle cost evaluation of conventional and corrosion-resistant steel for bridges,” Technical Note, Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 20(1), 06014005 (featured as the Research Highlight of the January 2015 issue of the Journal of Bridge Engineering).
- Yan, B., Yu, J., and Soliman, M., (2015). “Estimation of cable tension force independent of complex boundary conditions,” Technical Note, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 141(1), 06014015.
- Frangopol, D.M., and Soliman, M., (2014). “Structural life-cycle management of ships under uncertainty,” Naval Engineers Journal, ASNE, 126(2), 101-109.
- Soliman, M., and Frangopol, D.M., (2014). “Life-cycle management of fatigue sensitive structures integrating inspection information,” Journal of Infrastructure Systems, ASCE, 20(2): 04014001 (winner of the 2015 ASCE Alfred Noble Prize).
- Barone, G., Frangopol, D.M., and Soliman, M., (2014). “Optimization of life-cycle maintenance of deteriorating bridges considering expected annual system failure rate and expected cumulative cost,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 140(2): 04013043.
- Soliman, M., Frangopol, D.M., and Kwon, K., (2013). “Fatigue assessment and service life prediction of existing steel bridges by integrating SHM into a probabilistic bi-linear S-N approach,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 139(10): 1728-1740.
- Soliman, M., Frangopol, D.M., and Kim, S., (2013). “Probabilistic optimum inspection planning for steel bridges with multiple fatigue sensitive details,” Engineering Structures, Elsevier, 49: 996-1006.
- Kim, S., Frangopol, D.M. and Soliman, M., (2013). “Generalized probabilistic framework for optimum inspection and maintenance planning,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 139(3): 435-447 (winner of the 2014 ASCE J. James R. Croes Medal).
- Kwon, K., Frangopol, D.M., and Soliman, M., (2012). “Probabilistic fatigue life estimation of steel bridges by using a bilinear S-N approach,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 17(1): 58-70.
To view Dr. Soliman’s entire publication list visit: http://mohamedsoliman.info