- CIVE Home
- About CIVE
- Academic Programs
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Admissions Requirements
- Student Organizations
- Undergraduate Degree Plans
Delatte, Norb, Ph.D., P.E., F.ACI., F.ASCE
Professor and Head
Office: 207 Engineering South
- Ph.D. - The University of Texas, May 1996, Civil Engineering (Structures)
- S.M. (Master of Science) - Massachusetts Institute of Technology, June 1986, Civil Engineering
- B.S. - The Citadel, May 1984, Civil Engineering
Current Research Projects
- Evaluation of High Performance Pavement and Bridge Deck Wearing Surface Repair Materials, State Job Number 134816. Federal agreement number E131342, $ 391,207, Ohio Department of Transportation, August 13, 2013 – August 13, 2016.
Awards and Recognition
- American Society for Engineering Education Engineering Technology Division (ASEE ETC) Best Paper 2015: Cavalline, Tara, and Delatte, Norb (2015) Learning from the World Trade Center Collapse – Use of a Failure Case Study in a Structures and Materials Laboratory Course, pp. 8 – 17, Journal of Engineering Technology, Vol 32, No. 2, Fall 2015.
- Visiting Erskine Fellow, Department of Civil Engineering and Natural Resources, The University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand, July 9 – August 21, 2015. See http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/erskine/about.shtml
- Fulbright Specialist Grant Project ID 5926, Ivory Coast, International University of Grand-Bassam, Engineering Education, 11 May – 11 June 2014, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, United States Department of State.
- Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers (F.ASCE), December 6, 2011
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing 2009 ASNT Faculty Grant, for “Redesign of a Nondestructive Testing Course for Blended Learning,” presented in Columbus, Ohio on October 21, 2009.
- Fellow of the American Concrete Institute (F.ACI), Sunday, March 15, 2009
- American Concrete Institute Delmar L. Bloem Distinguished Service Award, bestowed by the ACI Board of Direction at its fall 2007 meeting specifically “for outstanding leadership of Committee 325, Concrete Pavements” awarded, Sunday, March 30, 2008
- American Concrete Institute (ACI International), Walter P. Moore, Jr. Faculty Achievement Award, awarded March 30, 2003.
- ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, Outstanding Paper of 2002 Award, with Kevin L. Rens, for Forensics and Case Studies in Civil Engineering Education: State of the Art, Vol. 16, No. 3, August, 2002, awarded October 2003.
- ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, Outstanding Paper of 2001 Award for Another Look at the Hartford Civic Center Coliseum Collapse, Vol. 15, No. 1, February 2001, awarded November 6, 2002.
- ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, 2000 – 2001 best paper award for Lessons from Roman Cement and Concrete, Vol. 127, No. 3, July 2001, awarded October 13, 2001.
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Concrete Institute
- Transportation Research Board – National Academy of Sciences
- American Society for Engineering Education
- ABET Inc. – Program Evaluator (PEV) for civil engineering programs and Commissioner/ Team Chair
- Engineers Without Borders
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Ohio, Number E-69047, issued June 16, 2004, State of Alabama, Number 22553, issued September 11, 1998, and Commonwealth of Virginia, Number 0402 020847, issued January 26, 1990. NCEES Record Number 25116, issued May 14, 2004.
- Delatte, Norbert J., Concrete Pavement Design, Construction, and Performance, 2nd Edition, Taylor and Francis, Abingdon, UK, 2014, ISBN 978-1466575103, 445 pp. (published May 2014).
- Delatte, Norbert J., Concrete Pavement Design, Construction, and Performance, Taylor and Francis, Abingdon, UK, 2008, ISBN 978-0-415-40970-4, 372 pp. (published August 2007).
- Delatte, Norbert J., Beyond Failure: Forensic Case Studies for Civil Engineers, ASCE Press, 2009. On the web at http://www.asce.org/Product.aspx?id=2147485641
- Delatte, Norbert J., Editor, Failure, Distress and Repair of Concrete Structures, Woodhead Publishing Ltd. of Abington Hall, Abington, Cambridge CB21 6AH, 2009. ISBN 978-1439818749. On the web at http://www.woodheadpublishing.com/en/book.aspx?bookID=1473
- Bosela, P.A., Brady, P.A., Delatte, N.J., and Parfitt, M.K. (2012), Failure Case Studies in Civil Engineering: Structures, Foundations, and the Environment, 2nd Edition, ASCE
- Cavalline, Tara, and Delatte, Norb (2015) Learning from the World Trade Center Collapse – Use of a Failure Case Study in a Structures and Materials Laboratory Course, pp. 8 – 17, Journal of Engineering Technology, Vol 32, No. 2, Fall 2015. ASEE ETD Best Paper 2015.
- Kamran Amini, Mehdi Jalalpour, Norbert Delatte (2016), Advancing concrete strength prediction using non-destructive testing: Development and verification of a generalizable model, Construction and Building Materials, 102 (2016) 762–768, Elsevier.
- Kalabon, A., Hedges, L., and Delatte, N. (2014), Development, Field Testing, and Implementation of Improved Bridge Parapet Designs, Concrete Materials 2014, TRR 2441, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, pp. 46 – 52
- Kalabon, Amy E., Loescher, Eric S., Sommerville, Alice E., and Delatte, Norbert J. (2013), “Rise and Fall of the Ohio and Erie Canal,” ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, July 2013.
- Jeffrey Schellhammer; Norbert J. Delatte, and Paul Bosela, “Another Look at the Collapse of Skyline Plaza at Bailey's Crossroads, Virginia,” ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, May/June 2013. Nominated for the journal’s Outstanding Paper Award but not selected.
- Ashish Patel; Paul Bosela; Norbert J. Delatte, “The 1976 Montreal Olympics: A Case Study of a Project Management Failure,” ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, May/June 2013.
- Delatte, N.J., “An Approach to Forensic Engineering Education in the US,” Proceedings of the ICE – Forensic Engineering, ISSN: 2043-9903, E-ISSN: 2043-9911, Institution of Civil Engineers, UK, Volume 165, Issue 3, 1 August 2012, pages 123 –129.
- Fronek, B., Bosela, P., and Delatte, N. (2012) “US and International Perspectives on the Use of Steel Slag Aggregate in Portland Cement Concrete,” Geomaterials 2012, Transportation Research Record No. 2267, pp. 37 – 42.
- Newson, T.A., and Delatte, N.J., (2011) “Case methods in civil engineering teaching,” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering. 38, No. 9, 1016-1030.
- Delatte, N., Mrkajic, A., and Miller, D. (2009) “Field and Laboratory Evaluation of Pervious Concrete Pavements,” Concrete Materials 2009, Transportation Research Record No. 2113, pp. 132 – 139.
- Cleary, J., and Delatte, N. (2008) “Implementation of Internal Curing in Transportation Concrete,” Concrete Materials, Transportation Research Record No. 2070, pp. 1 – 7.